Thursday, March 15, 2012

Movie Review: Luv Ka The End

Starring: Shraddha Kapoor, Taaha Shah
Director: Bumpy
Original Release Date: May 6, 2011

*No Spoilers*

Yes, you read that right. The director of this film was someone named...Bumpy. I have no idea who he (or she?) is, but I digress...

Luv Ka The End was the first production of Y-Films, a subsidiary of Yash Raj Films which caters to younger audiences. Because of the horrible reviews and the cheesy look and feel of Y-Films in general, I went into this with really, really low expectations.

This film is formulaic, cheesy, and the complete opposite of "deep" or "moving." It really has nothing new to offer--especially to an NRI viewer. But you know what? I actually enjoyed it! Sure, Luv Ka The End didn't explore some new unfound territory, but for a Bollywood movie it was certainly quite refreshing.

Let's backtrack. The movie is about a sweet girl named Rhea (Shraddha Kapoor) who basically gets duped by her creep of a boyfriend Luv (Taaha Shah). With the help of her friends Jugs and Sonia, Rhea plots revenge against Luv which all comes to a head on her 18th birthday at a big college party. As you can probably tell, the movie did take some inspiration from Hollywood films like John Tucker Must Die and even Mean Girls.

There were a couple specific things I liked about Luv Ka The End. First of all, the characters actually spoke Hindi. I know, shocking. The movie didn't follow the atrocious trend of showcasing India's youth only speaking really unnatural English. Also, the characters actually looked their age. Not too young, and not too old. Rhea looked 18, not 25 like in most American shows/movies I'm used to. Lastly, the movie portrayed youth and sex in a pretty realistic manner. Rhea wasn't afraid of putting her "izzat" on the line at the thought of losing her virginity at 18 years old. The movie even had a gay character. Sure, the situation was mostly comedic, but so was the movie.

Performances by the lead characters were only okay for me--nothing too memorable. Taaha is just really good looking. I'm not sure how I feel about Shraddha yet and if she really has what it takes to be an A level actress. I'd have to see her in a less juvenile role to be able to make a real judgement. The performance that did stand out to me was that of Sreejita De who played Sonia, Rhea's ditzy friend. She was funny, natural, beautiful, and someone I'd like to see more of in the future.

I'm not even gonna pretend the music of Luv Ka The End was any good. Although the "Mutton" song had me laughing out loud.

If you're looking for a fun, lighthearted flick then this movie's for you. I was impressed by the modernity of Luv Ka The End in terms of the themes it decided to explore (teen sex, partying, drinking, etc.) If nothing else, watch this movie for Ali Zafar's cameo at the end!

Final Verdict: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment