Thursday, March 31, 2011

"I Am" Theatrical Trailer


Wow, is it just me or does this film already look amazing? The largely underhyped I Am stars such big-name actors like Juhi Chawla, Rahul Bose, Sanjay Suri, Nandita Das, Manisha Koirala, and the list goes on. It's directed by Onir (who also directed the fabulous My Name is Nikhil) and addresses uncomfortable issues such as homosexuality, sperm donorship, Kashmiri pundits, and child abuse.

Originally released in film festivals in 2010, the movie takes on the format of four short stories (I Am Megha, I Am Abhimanyu, I Am Omar, and I Am Afia) where each segment is a separate, distinct short film. Therefore, if you weren't a fan of the format of something like Dus Kahaniyaan (which I thoroughly enjoyed), this film probably won't be for you.

Interestingly, in order to raise funds for the film, Onir used social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to reach out to anyone interested in contributing as a "Co-Producer." In the end, 400 people from 45 cities across the world made this film happen. Many of the stars like Juhi Chawla, also did their work for free.

Now, on to the trailer. My first thought is that Juhi Chawla looks so elegant and mature. I really can't wait to see her work in this movie. Even from the trailer, I can tell that I Am will be a milestone in Hindi cinema, which is reinforced by the fact that the film is already an award-winner. Rarely do we see such bold and progressive issues handled in such classy ways (no, Dostana doesn't count!). And judging from My Name is Nikhil, Onir's directorial capablilities are a force to contend with.

Be sure to check this one out! For the open-minded viewer, I'm sure it won't disappoint. I Am sees it's Indian release on April 22, 2011.

2 comments:

  1. It's definitely a movie I will try to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My badly missed Manisha Koirala is back... I've read much about this film, and it sounds so-absolutely-fantastic!

    ReplyDelete