Friday, March 25, 2011

Song Review: Mit Jaaye Gham (Dum Maaro Dum)

Film: Dum Maaro Dum (Release date: April 22, 2011)
Singer: Anushka Manchanda
Composer: Pritam

It took a few listens of this track for me to come to the decision that I like this song. It is obviously (and expectedly) a take on the original "Dum Maaro Dum" from the 1971 movie Hare Ram Hare Krishna. While nothing can overshadow the original, this new track has its own spice and flair.

First off, Mit Jaaye Gham is an item song and will be picturized on the lovely Deepika Padukone. Judging from this song's rough 'n tough style, I can predict that we'll be in for quite a show. The song itself is unconventional. It starts off with a fierce monologue by the singer then goes straight into a playful rhyme, then a rap, before the catchy chorus begins.

Somehow, even though so many different elements and song styles are combined and compressed into just under 4 minutes, the song still works. It's different and unique, but everything is tied together through the use of the original "Dum Maaro Dum" chorus, which sounds as catchy as ever. It also seems that, because of the modern techno feel to the song, it'll probably appeal more to the youth market.

Anuskha's vocals are perfect for this song. She does a great job with all the different styles and elements of the track. As for the lyrics, I'm still not sure what to think of them. They're interesting, to say the least (ex: "Uche se ucha banda, potty pe bethe nanga!"). But this song definitely breaks some rules, and the lyrics are no exception. All in all, this song has landed a spot on my current playlist--I always love a good item number!

Final Verdict: 3.5/5

2 comments:

  1. It took me a while to take to the song as well, though I don't particularly care for the original. The video's not bad (at least the short preview that's been released so far). I think Deepika did a fine job--I'll be interested to see the full video whenever it comes out.

    (Off topic but I love the look of your blog--great job!)

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually haven't checked out the Deepika preview yet--I'll have to do that ASAP.

    And thanks! Took me a while to configure, but I'm starting to get the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete